We’re three years into its life cycle, and not even a pandemic can stop the Nintendo Switch from dominating the gaming landscape in hardware sales.
So if you are one of those people that have just gotten a Switch, the titles below are exclusive to the system and will provide a wide range of amazing experiences.
The following titles are my personal must-buy Switch exclusives: ten games that hit the sweet spot of genre impact, replay value, and quality gameplay.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2–The once a generation JRPG that will stick with you far after the 100 hours you’ll invest. Known for breathtaking character design and impressively deep anime-inspired plot.
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild–Play around as Link to survive one of the most beautiful open worlds ever created. Known for the incredible sense of discovery and above average difficulty for the series.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses–Invest in your students and regret when you let them fall in this turn-based strategy RPG. Known for outstanding character design, the fantasy-school setting, and multiple heartbreaking plot routes/endings.
- Super Mario Odyssey–The most polished 3D platformer in the plumber’s history. Known for being gorgeous and expansive.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons–The definitive cute animal village simulator. Known for stealing lives.
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate–The penultimate fighter of the longtime crossover series. Known for angering so many Melee fans and newcomers alike.
- Splatoon 2–The most unique third person shooter in the business. Known for being wholly Nintendo, and the only truly competitive shooter on the system.
- Cadence of Hyrule–2D beat-based dungeon crawling goodness from Crypt of the Necrodancer meets Zelda. Known for a killer soundtrack and bringing 2D Zelda back to the mainstream.
- Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics–The ultimate collection of board/card games that you now don’t need physical copies of. Known for outclassing all previous iterations of Wii Sports/Carnival Games.
- Pokemon Sword/Shield–The BEST fully-realized Pokemon RPG on the Switch: hype for kids, one step closer to home console goodness for adults. Known for disappointing thousands of horribly ungrateful, toxic fans online.
- Tetris 99 –The simplest, yet most competitive battle royale game on the Switch.
- Super Mario Party–Plenty enjoyable despite not having as many minigames as other series entries.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe–Absolute best version of the franchise to date.
- Snipperclips–Unique puzzler, perfect for couch co-op at parties.
- Fire Emblem Warriors–Musou crossover game featuring some fan favorite characters in the FE franchise.
- Urban Flow–Indie puzzle title that requires quick thinking and intense reflexes. Hope you secretly want to be a traffic controller.
- Astral Chain–The industry’s prime developer of action titles brings new franchise viability with a gorgeous very-anime action RPG. This barely missed the list due to other Platinum Games titles on the system that are worthy of playing.
Hopefully this list finds you well and you’re inspired to grab some of the greatest games of this generation! Thanks for reading.